Amsterdam made Jews pay rent while in WWII camps
rick murphy
2013-04-21 17:17:36 UTC
One victim of Nazis, Amsterdam, victimizes another victim of Nazis,
Jews. It may sound amazing but this is a very typical European
enlightenment.

+++++++++++++++++

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/amsterdam-made-jews-pay-rent-while-in-wwii-camps.aspx?pageID=238&nID=45319&NewsCatID=351

April 21 2013

Amsterdam made Jews pay rent while in WWII camps

AMSTERDAM - Agence France-Presse

Picture: A photo taken on June 20, 1943 shows a German raid in the
eastern part of Amsterdam. AFP Photo

Amsterdam council has vowed to probe revelations that it forced Jews
returning from World War II concentration camps to pay rent arrears,
even if their homes had been destroyed or occupied by Nazis.

The scandal, involving an unknown number of Jews and non-Jews living
in city-owned properties, was uncovered by a young art history student
in Amsterdam's archives.

Less than a quarter of Amsterdam's Jewish population survived the war,
with the Netherlands occupied by the Nazis from 1940 to 1945.

"On their return, Jews received letters from Amsterdam council
demanding the settling of their back rent," the art historian,
Charlotte van den Berg, 23, told AFP.

The council even issued fines for late rent payments for homes that
were confiscated and occupied by Nazi forces or members of the Dutch
collaborationist NSB movement.

Van den Berg was a student at Amsterdam Free University when she made
the discovery while digitising Amsterdam's municipal archives in 2010.

She decided to dig deeper.

"I wanted to know if the city had ever corrected these measures taken
in 1946," Van den Berg told AFP.

"Unfortunately all I could find was a reduction in fines from 1947,"
some of which were levied on homes destroyed by Second World War
bombings, she said.

Holocaust survivor David Bonte, 91, told Amsterdam's Het Parool
newspaper that demands for back rent from Jews were widespread at the
time.

His family received a bill in 1946 for unpaid back rent on their
council-owned property.

"How dare they harass us, people who had been through so much?" he
said. Van den Berg cannot yet say how many people or how much money
were concerned by the rent demands.

"All I can tell you is that 342 people asked for money that they had
paid to be returned. They weren't all Jews," she said. "Most of them
were Jews, but there were also people who suffered through the war
years in different ways, their business had no income for example and
they just couldn't pay their rent anymore," she added.

There was however a procedure to get a partial refund on fines paid to
the council for late rent.

"The cut off date for starting that procedure was May 1, 1948, and
only half the fine could be refunded," she said.

Some of the letters written to Amsterdam council at the time show the
anger and disbelief felt at the money being asked.

"People wrote about their return from the concentration camps or how
they hid during the war. Penniless, they sometimes were just asking
for a little more time to pay the bill," Van den Berg said.

A businessman named J. W. Levending wrote on June 29, 1946: "So we
must again pay the piper? Those who for years lived in suffering,
locked up, from whom everything was taken by the Germans."

"We get the bill that should have been paid by the men from the NSB;
and fines despite the fact that we weren't even there. I wonder that
these gentlemen the bureaucrats can be so ignorant of the situation
that they demand such payments?" Despite the protests, Amsterdam's
civil servants persisted with demands for money, strictly applying the
rules.

Amsterdam City Hall has promised to probe the matter.

"We will investigate in order to find out exactly what happened, this
will be done as quickly as possible and for as long as it takes,"
Bartho Boer, a spokesman for Amsterdam Mayor Eberhart van der Laan,
told AFP.

The Central Jewish Council said it hoped that "the mistakes of the
past would be corrected," its president Jigal Markuszower told AFP.

Of around 80,000 Jews deported from Amsterdam, where the vast majority
of Dutch Jews lived, only 18,000 survived.

"The rent matter was already partly known, but details were missing,"
said Ronny Naftaniel, former head of the Centre for Information and
Documentation on Israel.

"It's good that thanks to Ms Van den Berg's efforts this is
resurfacing now," he said.

Amsterdam has now made contact with Jewish organisations, the national
archives and others to find out to what extent Jews living elsewhere
in the Netherlands were affected by the back rent demands.

April/21/2013
Dänk 42Ø
2013-04-29 02:38:29 UTC
On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 10:17:36 -0700, an islamofascist Turkish agitprop
masquerading as an anglo British or American called 'rick murphy'
Post by rick murphy
One victim of Nazis, Amsterdam, victimizes another victim of Nazis,
Jews. It may sound amazing but this is a very typical European
enlightenment.
+++++++++++++++++
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/amsterdam-made-jews-pay-rent-while-in-
wwii-camps.aspx?pageID=238&nID=45319&NewsCatID=351
Post by rick murphy
April 21 2013
Amsterdam made Jews pay rent while in WWII camps
AMSTERDAM - Agence France-Presse
Picture: A photo taken on June 20, 1943 shows a German raid in the
eastern part of Amsterdam. AFP Photo
Amsterdam council has vowed to probe revelations that it forced Jews
returning from World War II concentration camps to pay rent arrears,
even if their homes had been destroyed or occupied by Nazis.
This is outrageous, IF it turns out to be true! But aren't you a Turkish
Muslim, and don't Muslims believe Jews should be exterminated from the
face of the earth?

I visited Amsterdam as an army brat in the 1970s, and though most of my
life during the time is a blur, I distinctly remember visiting the house
of Anne Frank, and her tragic yet inspiring story still haunts me today.
Though my German ancestor who came to America over a century ago had
nothing to do with it, I still feel a collective racial shame for the
industrial-scale genocide my distant German cousins committed. (I even
had my DNA changed to remove the inferior German codons.)

I can't say that I know any Dutch people personally, but from I've read
about them they seem to be an extremely ethical and respectable people,
known for tranquil tulips and windmills rather than violent jihadist
beheadings.

Like all people in the world, the Dutch have good and bad members among
their tribe. Bad Dutch are in a very small minority, while good Dutch
are so tolerant and open-minded that they welcome islamofascist migrants
who make no secret of their desire to turn Holland into an islamofascist
sharia police state, murdering any non-muslim Dutchmen who dare to object.

Some Hollanders may very well have collaborated with German Nazis in WW2;
but today's Holland is not a place I would feel any danger in, danger
that I would definitely feel in islamofascist sharia states like Turkey,
Iran, etc. I'm pretty sure I could pick up a europenny on the ground in
Amsterdam without worrying about being anally raped by passers-by --
followed by prosecution and execution on sodomy charges! The same can't
be said for Istanbul or Tehran.

"It's been said that sodomy is so popular
in Turkey that Turkish children can only
recognize their friends from behind!"

-- Anonymous