A 2,500-year-old statue of a woman from the late Hellenistic period has been unearthed during the excavations at the Metropolis ancient city in İzmir’s Torbalı district.
rich murphy
2012-11-21 03:27:38 UTC
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/ancient-woman-statue-revealed-in-metropolis.aspx?pageID=238&nID=35059&NewsCatID=375

Ancient woman statue revealed in Metropolis

IZMIR - Hürriyet Daily News

November/21/2012

Picture: The headless and dressed female statue dates back to the
Hellenistic period. DHA Photo

A 2,500-year-old statue of a woman from the late Hellenistic period
has been unearthed during the excavations at the Metropolis ancient
city in İzmir’s Torbalı district.

According to a written statement made by the Sabancı Foundation, new
artifacts are being unearthed during the excavation of the ancient
city, which has been ongoing for 22 years as part of a collaboration
between the Culture and Tourism Ministry, Trakya University, the
Metropolis Association, the Torbalı Municipality and sponsored by the
Sabancı Foundation.

The head of the excavations, Trakya University Archaeology Department
Associate Professor Serdar Aynek, said the headless, dressed, female
statue was found buried in the city wall and that the statue reflected
the richness and magnificence of the late Hellenistic period in its 2-
meter length.

Aybek said that many statues found around the city walls during the
excavations had been sent to the İzmir Museum.

Sabancı Foundation General Director Zerrin Koyunsağan said the statue
might be a woman who managed the ancient city. “I think that thousands
of years ago women had significant roles in society and city
management. At the Sabancı Foundation, we are carrying out projects on
the issue of social gender in Turkey. This is why this female
managerial statue that connects with the work of our society is
meaningful for us,” she said.
Qurajsh Meccan Army , the persecuting force against the Heretic Mohammud who falsely claimed himself to have been a Prophet of God Allah